We are lucky to have great riding country around the Sevenoaks area. The club organises group rides so that members can train and ride together. If you are interested in joining a group ride for the first time. please contact the respective ride leader or Glenda Goscomb, Club Cycle Rep to check details and suitability. Rides are posted on the '7Oaks Tri Club Rides' Facebook page and are usually as follows:
Weekly Shirkers Ride - Friday Morning 9am
Meeting Point - Seal Recreation Ground
Distance/Duration 50k plus/Approx 2hrs:30 min but times and distances will vary with training needs of group.
Pace - to suit the group riding but riders should be capable of averaging a minimum speed of 14mph/22kph on hilly terrain
Post ride coffee - by agreement but default Malabar Riverhead
Contact - Kim Moss or Penny Bulley
Weekly Saturday Inter Ride – Saturday morning
Meeting Point – Café Nero Sevenoaks for pre ride coffee 7:45, or
Grand depart - Sevenoaks Post Office 8 am
Pace – usually 2 groups at 14/15mph and 16/17mph
Post ride coffee – Malabar Sevenoaks or Riverhead
Contact - Dave Lobley or Glenda Goscomb
Weekly Sunday Fast Ride – Sunday morning early! Summer 7am/Winter 7:30am
Meeting Point – 7Oaks PO
Distance/Duration: 2hrs in winter about 50-60km, 3hrs in spring/summer about 80-90km
Pace – as fast as the group can go! Around 23 to 30kmh depending on time of year and who is there
Post ride coffee – Yes – Malabar 7Oaks
Contact – Martin Brown
Pop up Intro Rides – dates and meet points will be sent out in the weekly newsletter and on the 7 Oaks Tri Club Rides FB page
Distance/Duration – 25miles/40k
Pace – easy, approx 12- 13mph sometimes with skills sessions/coaching
Post ride coffee – always and location depends on start/finish point
Contact – Glenda Goscomb or Dave Truman
Pop Up Rides – a series of rides eg day trips to France, endurance rides with coffee stops etc. Communicated via the weekly newsletter and Facebook page.
Contact – Glenda Goscomb
The Club is affiliated to Cycling Time Trials so anyone can enter any of the open events that are held regularly throughout the summer. We have a large number of members who take part in these events that are typically held early on a Sunday morning or Saturday afternoon. Time Trials are a great way of improving your cycling speed and skills
We also hold our own inter club club TT programme in the summer (under CTT Rules) in conjunction with Sydenham Wheelers and GS Avanti. These normally take place on a Thursday evening although there are a few on Saturday mornings and afternoons as well. There are about twenty local events over mainly 10 miles although also included are a couple of hilly 21 milers and a 15 mile event. These are advertised on the club website and if you want to know more contact Dave Truman. In addition to riding in these races, we organise some of the fixtures each season and have to provide marshals for these so ask for volunteers. If you race, please also give up some time to marshal as well.
Please note that only members of 7Oaks Tri, Sydenham Wheelers and GS Avanti are eligible to ride in the inter club events.
We are also affiliated to KCA, ECCA and ESCA.
Turbo sessions usually take place every week on a Thursday evening during the winter months, November to March
E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
When we ride as a group, for the safety and enjoyment of all riders, other road users and the reputation of the Club, we ask all riders to follow our Club Cycling Etiquette. Ride leaders for each ride will provide guidance on this where necessary.
Rules of the Road
- Always follow the Highway Code.
- Never react to car drivers being aggressive/shouting etc
- Don’t wave cars through
- No jumping red lights EVER
- No helmet, no ride
- Rear light recommended – often weather/visibility can deteriorateGroup Riding Expectations
- A ride leader will plan and lead each ride. The ride leader will pre communicate the route on the 7 Oaks Rides FB Page, pre brief the group at the start of the ride, control the pace and direct the group on the road.
- Ride groups should never exceed 12 people. If more turn up then the ride will split.
- We ride tightly in pairs unless it is unsafe to do so. Single track lanes = single file.
- Riding off the front of the group is not acceptable except on a declared ‘max effort’ segment – if you prefer to ride alone, go alone.
- When it’s necessary to go from pairs to single file, the inside rider of a pair rides forward and the outside rider drops back into the space behind.
- No half wheeling!
- You should be no more than a bike length behind the rider in front of you and preferably a wheel width or less.
- Respect the ride leader or be prepared to buy everyone coffee, cake and clean the group’s bikes.
- Warn each other of hazards – potholes, debris, car up/back, slowing, stopping etc. Pass commands up and down the line.
- If someone punctures/suffers a mechanical, the whole group stop to assist. If for some reason this does not make sense e.g. extreme cold, can’t be fixed etc – the ride leader makes a call and may send the group on.
Come to a Group Ride with……..
- A well maintained road bike. If you must ride your TT bike or have TT bars attached, you cannot use these whilst on a group ride.
- Spare tubes, pump, CO2, multi tool etc – be self sufficient if you puncture or have a minor mechanical.
- A mobile phone, some cash and your ICE information. Ideally your ICE information will be on a Road ID bracelet or a card so your mates can locate it quickly.
- Enough food and drink for the ride duration.
- Club kit whenever possible please. It helps us bond as a team and gives us a sense of identity. If we get the group riding right it gives us a strong local presence too!
- The downloaded route if possible. Helpful if the group has to split.
Can you manage a spot of this on a Sunday morning? Professional all rounder Matt Page shows how to deal with the 3966 steps at Fenestreel Fort in northern Italy. Have a look here if you have time, it lasts for nearly 11 minutes.
West Kent RC - 9.00am on Sunday 12 January (80/45k) from Horton Kirby Cricket Club Details
CC Bexley - 9.00am on Sunday 19 January (50/100k) from Horton Kirby Cricket Club
Sydenham Wheelers - 9.00am on Sunday 26 January (64/107k) from Knockholt Village Hall
Old Portlians - 9.00am on Sunday 2 February 68/100k) from Knockholt Village Hall Details
7 November. Venue - Cornwall Hall, The Drive, Sevenoaks, TN13 3AB. Please be ready to start the warm up by 19.45.
To book one of the club turbos please contact Neil Colvin.